Thursday, December 15, 2005

Icy Thursday

We'll it's an icy Thursday morning which began at 5:30am when Everett woke us up. Luckily he went back to sleep until 6:30am. What stinks is that Allen and I weren't able to sleep once he woke us up. I'm pretty sure he woke up because of his cold. His little nose is still stuffy. He also had his 4 month immunization shots yesterday so that could be messing up his sleep patterns a little bit too. At his check up yesterday he weighed 14 pounds 14 ounces and was 26 inches long. That put him in the in the 50% for weight and the 90% for height. I guess he'll be tall and skinny like his father! His height may be a little off though because he kept scrunching up the paper that they marked his measurements on. Allen and I think he's more like 25 inches long, but that still is pretty tall. He's so brave when he gets his shots and hardly even cries. The nurse were we go does such a good job and is so fast, which really helps. He seems to be a very healthy boy so far!

Our trees outside are all covered with ice and it looks really cool. I'm glad I'm inside. :) I've had to miss out on some things this week since we're sick. I was supposed to go to a brunch at my playgroup yesterday but I didn't want to infect anyone, so we stayed home. I made the casserole I was going to make for the brunch for dinner instead. It's really yummy. I got the recipe from my friend from church, Emily.

Farmer's Casserole
6 cups frozen hash brown potatoes (that's a little less than one large 32oz. bag from the frozen aisle)
1½ cups shredded monterey jack cheese with jalapeno peppers or sharp cheddar (I used both kinds and more like 2 cups +)
2 cups diced cooked ham or canadian style bacon
½ cup chopped green onions
8 beaten eggs
2 12oz. cans evaporated milk
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper

1. Grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Arrange potatoes evenly in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with cheese, ham and green onion. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over potato mixture in dish.

2. Bake uncovered at 350ยบ for 45 to 55 minutes or until center appears set.

I needed to cook mine longer than 55 minutes to get it to cook all the way. Also, I think next time I make it I'm going to add a little more ham and green onion and mix some of it it in with the potatoes more. I might make it again when my family comes next week.

No comments: